Job Title: Digital Communications Officer
Location: Hertford + remote working with regular travel within the county
Salary Range: £20,903 progressing to £30,451 pa (pro rata for part time)
Hours: Full-time 37.5 hours per week (plus out of hours rota)
Contract: Permanent - job shares welcome
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
Media team, Corporate Communications
Hertfordshire County Council is a leading local authority with a highly regarded communications service. You will be joining at an important time and play a key role in ensuring the council effectively communicates its vision and work to create a cleaner, greener, healthier Hertfordshire with residents, stakeholders, and partners.
The corporate communications team's role is to communicate the key priorities that will deliver on this ambition and create the best outcomes for the people of Hertfordshire. The Digital Communications Officer is an integral role within our busy press office, proactively promoting key aspects of the council's work as well as ensuring reactive issues are handled efficiently.
- To proactively and effectively manage and communicate the key corporate priorities of Hertfordshire County Council by creating and issuing accurate and engaging content across a broad range of social media channels;
- To identify opportunities for positive media content, as well as potential risks to the council's overall reputation, and action as appropriate;
- To ensure that all communication activities conform to the council's media protocols and high standards;
- To take part in the emergency out of hours cover rota;
- To manage the monitoring and evaluation of content across all platforms, including email and social media to ascertain content engagement levels;
- To work with the Senior Content Manager and provide creative and technical support to team members;
- Providing support to the Media Manager and Chief Press Officer where appropriate, and provide support of key corporate campaigns.
We are seeking an individual with:
- Minimum of 2 years experience in public relations or media management with a strong track record in performance and delivering positive outcomes or a marketing/communications qualification or relevant degree or significant work experience, which provides an equivalent level of knowledge and expertise;
- A strong news sense, creativity and a good knowledge of how to create engaging content including infographics, short film, imagery and animation;
- An up-to-date knowledge of current best practice in social media management, the role of the web and traditional media;
- Excellent attention to detail in everyday activities, from planning creative work for the next month to drafting written comms or getting the perfect image and video content;
- Ability to work effectively and network with a range of stakeholders including residents, Councillors, colleagues at all levels within the organisation and partners, handling sensitive issues appropriately;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), a strong negotiator who thinks through the tone, method, channel and content that best suits the situation and audience, switching communication and influence style where needed.
You will sit within the media business unit as part of the corporate communications team. Collectively we employ a range of traditional, social, and digital communications methods to deliver high quality internal and external communications and campaigns to benefit Hertfordshire's 1.2 million residents and about 30,000 staff (including schools). For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Carla Ryan-Griffiths
Closing Date: 25th October 2021
Interview Date: Week commencing 8th November 2021
Benefits of Working for HCC:
- Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
- Excellent Career Development
- Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
- Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
- Shopping Discounts
- Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
Hard to Fill Roles
Overseas Applications: We will accept applications from all applicants from outside, as well as from within the UK. Sponsorship opportunities may be available
Non Hard to Fill Roles Additional Information
Overseas Applications: We will accept applications from all applicants who already have an established right to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide sponsorships for this post
English Fluency: The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post.
Disability Confident: We are proud to be a Disability Confident employerand guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
Why Hertfordshire: Watch our 'Why Hertfordshire'video. Our staff use their own words to tell their story and share their experiences of what it is like working here. Take your next step in your career.
CS Roles Only: We expect all Children Services employees to fulfil Hertfordshire's Professional Promise for how children, young people & young adults with special educational needs and / or disabilities and their families should be treated. It is our agreement to place families and children at the centre of what we do, and helps parents and carers to understand and be able to hold us to account for how we provide our services.
Hertfordshire County Council is currently undertaking a review of its pay structure and terms and conditions. The council is undertaking this review as part of its commitment to continuing to be an employer of choice, by ensuring that its pay and terms and conditions are relevant to future working practices. You can read more about this on our website
Apply for Job