Job Title: Senior Content Officer
Location: Hertford + remote working with regular travel within the county
Salary Range: £32,234 progressing to 39,728 pa (pro rata for part time)
Hours: Full-time 37.5 hours per week (plus out of hours rota)
Contract: Permanent - job shares welcome
Hertfordshire County Council is a leading local authority with a highly regarded communications service. You will be joining at an important time and play a key role in ensuring the council effectively communicates its vision and work to create a cleaner, greener, healthier Hertfordshire with residents, stakeholders, and partners.
The corporate communications team's role is to communicate the key priorities that will deliver on this ambition and create the best outcomes for the people of Hertfordshire. The Senior Content Officer is an integral role within our busy press office, proactively promoting key aspects of the council's work and as well as ensuring reactive issues are handled efficiently.
- To proactively and effectively manage and communicate the key corporate priorities of Hertfordshire County Council by creating and issuing accurate and engaging content across a broad range of traditional and social media channels;
- To build brand identity through the creation and dissemination of multimedia content online;
- To develop content strategies to grow an online community, tracking the communities growth and increasing engagement between the council and the citizens of Hertfordshire;
- To identify opportunities for positive media content, as well as potential risks to the council's overall reputation, and action as appropriate;
- To ensure that all communication activities conform to the council's media protocols and high standards;
- To formulate cross-platform content strategy to maximise engagement and effectiveness;
- To take part in the emergency out of hours cover rota;
- To manage the monitoring and evaluation of content across all platforms, including email and social media to ascertain content engagement levels;
- To line manage a Digital Communications Officer and provide creative and technical support to other team members;
- To project manage key communications collateral and third party contracts in an efficient and effective way;
- Providing support to the Media Manager and Chief Press Officer where appropriate, and provide in support of key corporate campaigns;
We are seeking an individual with:
- English/communications qualification or relevant degree or significant work experience, which provides an equivalent level of knowledge and expertise such as 3+ years experience in public relations or media management with a strong track record in performance and delivering positive outcomes;
- A strong news sense, creativity and a good knowledge of how to use engaging content including infographics, short film, imagery and animation to drive up the success of campaigns and news engagement;
- An up-to-date knowledge of current best practice in social media management, the role of the web and traditional media;
- Excellent attention to detail in everyday activities, from planning creative work for the next month to drafting written comms or getting the perfect image and video content;
- Ability to work effectively and network with a range of stakeholders including residents, Councillors, colleagues at all levels within the organisation and partners, handling sensitive issues appropriately;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), a strong negotiator who thinks through the tone, method, channel and content that best suits the situation and audience, switching communication and influence style where needed.
You will sit within the media business unit as part of the corporate communications team. Collectively we employ a range of traditional, social, and digital communications methods to deliver high quality internal and external communications and campaigns to benefit Hertfordshire's 1.2 million residents and about 30,000 staff (including schools).
Closing Date: 25th October 2021
Interview Date: Week commencing 8th November
Benefits of Working for HCC:
- Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
- Excellent Career Development
- Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
- Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
- Shopping Discounts
- Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
How to Apply: Please follow the 'Apply for Job' button at the bottom of the screen. As part of the application you will be required to upload your most recent CV ensuring gaps in employment have been addressed and includes your current, or most recent, employer. You are also asked to provide a supporting statement which is your opportunity to evidence how your skills, knowledge and experience match what we are looking for based on the Person Specification area of the attached Job Outline. If you do not supply a supporting statement, your application will be rejected.
Important Note re Interviews: Where we are able to, and in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines in regard to social distancing, all interviews will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, should you be shortlisted for an interview.
Hard to Fill Roles
Overseas Applications: We will accept applications from all applicants from outside, as well as from within the UK. Sponsorship opportunities may be available
Non Hard to Fill Roles Additional Information
Overseas Applications: We will accept applications from all applicants who already have an established right to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide sponsorships for this post
English Fluency: The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post.
Disability Confident: We are proud to be a Disability Confident employerand guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
Apply for Job