If you're a passionate writer with an excellent knowledge of what's going on in the world, you could soon be our new Staff Writer on The Week Junior – the award-winning current affairs magazine for 8-14 year olds – and our recent launch, Science+Nature.
Working across both magazines you will work alongside two other staff writers researching and writing a range of stories on a daily basis, whether that's explaining the latest Brexit developments, reporting the discovery of a secret supercolony of penguins in the Antarctic or penning a big debate on whether aliens exist.
Attending a weekly news conference, you will be encouraged to share and discuss the stories that matter to our young audience, whilst pitching your own ideas for the events and subjects we should be covering.
You'll support the editors with their day-to-day responsibilities, as well as pitching future features, coming up with ideas for special editions and spin-offs, representing the brand at events and getting to know our readers.
You are naturally curious with a keen, analytical mind. You can create sparkling, engaging and accurate copy covering a range of topics. With a proven passion for current affairs, you are an avid reader of newspapers and high-quality publications and have a laser sharp intuition for the stories we should be sharing with our readers.
You'll be brimming with ideas for all aspects of the magazine and will confidently and eloquently pitch ideas in a weekly news conference, explaining why they are of interest and importance.
Essential - Writing to an exceptionally high standard, clearly and succinctly, with a good understanding of The Week Junior's style and tone with impeccable spelling and grammar is essential, as is the ability to meet strict daily deadlines. You'll have a minimum of a 2.1 degree or equivalent.
Desired - A degree in journalism, knowledge of subbing and experience using InDesign are highly desirable, as is previous experience writing for a newspaper or current affairs magazine. An interest in science and nature would be desirable and a science qualification would be a distinct advantage. Experience in writing for social media is also desirable.
At Dennis, we're dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in. We're unique, and so are you. You'll enjoy a host of benefits and perks when you join us, on top of a satisfying salary. And that's not all:
- We're award winning. You will be working across award-winning brands and in award-winning teams and joining a culture where innovation and success are encouraged.
- Our Commitment. We're very proud to support The Heart of England Forest; an exciting and ambitious charity aiming to plant and preserve the largest native broadleaf forest in England. Founded by our late chairman, Felix Dennis, every employee gets the chance to plant a tree in their name so you can feel part of their vision.
- We're always thinking of you. You'll have access to plenty of great benefits such as 28 days holiday, a contributory pension scheme and discounted gym membership.
- We recognise hard work. Have you always dreamed of taking time out of work to travel the world? You'll be given the opportunity to take a 6 week paid sabbatical after five years service. And if you're lucky enough to win our Employee of the Year Award you'll be sent on a holiday of a lifetime to a destination that certainly has the 'wow' factor.
- We know how to have fun. Whether it's swatting up for one of our pub quizzes, creating a costume for our famous fancy dress parties or taking part in a fitness challenge as part of our annual charity day - we can guarantee you will share the enjoyment of life at Dennis.
Being Brilliantly different is part of our DNA – our success is built upon it. What makes you unique is what makes us unique and we're proud to foster and promote an environment of inclusivity and a celebration of individuality. Dennis does not discriminate. We recruit purely based on your skills, talent and your potential. If you feel you are right for the role, we'd very much like to hear from you!
Apply for Job