As part of this role, you will report to and share the editorial management and direction of the factual features content in Radio Times with the Features Editor. You will be responsible for TV related documentary, news and natural history content in Radio Times, including commissioning freelance feature writers and staff writers. You'll assist the Features Editor to oversee the progression of content to press stage, controlling the features budget, liaison with non-editorial departments within Immediate Media and outside as well as promoting the magazine within the industry including at events.
- Responsibility for developing original feature ideas that are topical, engage readers and become part of the national conversation.
- Securing exclusive access to content and stars.
- Commissioning written copy and photo shoots and maintaining good contacts with PRs and producers in the industry to meet demand.
- Editing copy to RT style.
- Responsibility for conserving and developing the profile of the magazine within the market place, amongst PR's and advertisers requires the individuals in the team to maintain a positive industry profile.
- Maintain and develop specialist knowledge and contacts within the TV industry, in particular in the field of news, documentaries and factual programming.
- Liaise with programme PRs and producers to establish exclusive access to content and presenters for RT features.
- Develop features ideas based on upcoming programming and the news agenda in conjunction with the Features Editor and editors.
- Commission and write features to the highest standard.
- Arrange and manage photoshoots in consultation with the Creative Director.
- Manage the factual features content of the magazine in consultation with the Features Editor, both text, pictures and illustrations, to ensure it meets the required commercial standards of quality, accuracy, consistency of style, and legality.
- Check proof pages and liaise with production to ensure design, colour and accuracy are maintained.
- Maintain an awareness of competitors in the market, their coverage and the likely implications for the magazine, as well as initiating projects to continually develop the title.
- Attend functions and related events on behalf of the magazine and Immediate Media and be prepared to express a view on behalf of the magazine and be interviewed on broadcast or for the media as required. To liaise with key PR's in the industry and maintain the profile of magazine.
A BIT ABOUT YOU
- Significant experience of working as a journalist for a consumer magazine of national standing or national newspaper, including writing and commissioning.
- Ability to recruit a wide range of freelance writers.
- Ability to provide a concise brief and direction for writers.
- Ability to think creatively and develop feature ideas.
- Ability to develop the skills of the editorial assistant.
- An understanding of the aims of the magazine, the target market and up-to-date knowledge of target interests.
- An in-depth knowledge and enthusiasm for magazine subject and empathy with style and standards of the title.
- Exceptional contacts within the broadcast industry.
We're committed to building a diverse group of talent with a broad range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities and will give full and fair consideration to all applicants.
We know that flexibility is key to success and our people work flexibly in many different ways, so if this is important to you please let us know.
As you apply, we'll ask you to share some personal information which will help us understand how we're doing in our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We'd really appreciate if you'd take a few moments to complete this but if you'd rather not that's fine too. Rest assured, we'll treat your information confidentially.
Apply for Job