- · Salary circa £42k
- · Employers Pension contribution at 8%
- · Healthcare cash back
- · Flexible working
- · Remote location with some travel to London required
- · Use of the BAFTA Members' Club with discounts on food and drink
- · Tickets to BAFTA screenings and other events
BAFTA, the British Academy of Film & Television Arts, is a leading global charity focused on championing creativity, opportunity and social change for all through the transformative power of film, games and television. We are well known for our flagship awards events across those sectors, however we do so much more than that.
Through our global reach, our aims are to: champion the art and the craft of the moving image industry, champion, nurture and recognise talent, and champion the industry environment. We do this by identifying and celebrating excellence, supporting talent through recognition and long-term support - particularly within under-represented groups - and enabling a positive, inclusive, accessible and connected industry.
BAFTA Media Technology (BMT) is the development arm of BAFTA. It is a distinct business unit owned by BAFTA that develops software products and services to support BAFTA and related industries, providing innovation in technology and the practice of digital media management.
You'll be working in a Scrum team using agile work methodology. Your responsibilities will include development and system maintenance, requirements gathering and testing on four of BAFTA's tech products. It could also include some technical support for BAFTA and BMT's clients.
- BAFTA Electron - a cloud-based asset management system for the upload, storage, reviewing, encoding and sharing of media securely and at highest quality standards. The service is in use by BAFTA and other clients for their awards management processes.
- BAFTA View - delivers online viewing for members for our Film Awards connecting via API to studio/distributors' and third party VOD platforms. BAFTA View second iteration is still in build phase.
- Parallel Transcoding - delivers high-speed transcoding for BAFTA and licencees of our awards software.
- International Carbon Calculator - launching early in 2021, this is a new build for BAFTA's sustainability arm, BAFTA albert, and supports the TV and film industry to reduce its carbon footprint.
You may also be required to work from time to time on BMT's other two products.
- BAFTA Nucleus - an end-to-end awards management system developed for BAFTA's own awards and is commercially available to the film, television and games industries and across other markets. The system provides a customisable online platform for organisations to manage their end-to-end awards processes across submissions, judging and voting for a wide range of awards. BAFTA Nucleus is also licensed for managing applications to grants and bursaries by a number of organisations.
- BAFTA Events - manages BAFTA's own complex needs across its five international branches to deliver booking, tickets and check-in for hundreds of events every year.
With a small team structure, different team members may be ultimately responsible for different aspects of project delivery. While you might not be implementing all aspects of these yourself, you will be responsible for working with the other developers and our product manager to ensure delivery that's in line with industry best practice and to deadline.
We are looking for a developer who also has excellent communication skills and can explain highly technical concepts in a way that non-technical staff and clients can understand.
- Full stack developer with a minimum of 3 years' experience
- PHP or proven thorough knowledge of OOP in another language
- Cloud computing
- Symfony and Doctrine backend frameworks
- Backbone, Bootstrap and RequireJs frontend frameworks
- Git code management
- Continuous integration
- Unit testing
- Working within a team of developers
- Iterative development
- Linux servers
- Excellent communication skills
- Expertise in video or audio
- Amazon Web Services
- Media management systems
What we offer
BAFTA is a charity, not a corporate organisation, and salaries reflect that. What we offer is a good work-life balance with high pension contributions, a healthcare scheme, flexitime. Outside of pandemic conditions, we also offer free tickets to BAFTA screenings and events and use of the BAFTA members' club with a discount on food and non-alcoholic drinks. We operate in a friendly, flexible working environment and offer the opportunity to work with high-profile partners and clients.
How to apply
Application by CV and cover letter to by Monday 4 January.
If you haven't heard from us within four weeks of the application deadline then you should assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We are unfortunately unable to give detailed or specific feedback on applications.
Our aim is for our staff to be a diverse mix of talented people who want to come and do their best work. BAFTA is committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or whether or not they have a disability. Please take the time to fill out our Diversity Monitoring Survey. All the information you provide will be anonymous and is not considered with your application.
Apply for Job