Deputy Chief Sub-Editor (Sundays)
Reach PLC is looking for a Deputy Chief Sub-Editor to assist with the running of run the Sundays news and features subbing team and produce perfect copy for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People.
So who are we?
Hello, we are Reach PLC. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.Key Responsibilities
The Ideal Candidate
- As the Deputy Chief Sub-Editor, you will be responsible for the distribution of subbing work to sub-editors.
- You will oversee the progress and production of pages for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People, at times working under the pressure of deadlines.
- Manage changes to stories and pages as news events unfold.
- Checking the work of sub-editors, revising and improving subbed copy and headlines.
- Hitting deadlines while ensuring copy and pages are accurate and mistake-free, with effective or entertaining headlines.
- Ensuring copy is legally sound and adheres to IPSO and company policies.
- You will also act up and take on Chief Sub duties in the absence of the Chief Sub. This will include administrative tasks in running the sub-editorial team such as rotas, booking of casual staff, organising payment of casual staff.
- You will have the ability to quickly and effectively check headlines and copy and be able to decide if improvements need to be made, and then make any improvements, sometimes under time pressure.
- You will have the ability to manage workflow on a number of pages and stories concurrently, often under pressure of time.
- Have the confidence and leadership skills to effectively manage a number of sub-editors working on different stories.
- You will have the experience and confidence to manage changes to pages and stories as news events unfold, and liaising effectively with subbing staff over these changes.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation...... click apply for full job details
Apply for Job